At Best Energy our mission is to forge a built environment that is more energy-efficient, more sustainable and more pleasing to work and live in. We do this by harnessing the power of our own class-leading energy metering and IoT devices, a cloud platform and data analysis.
Our growing R&D and product development teams include cloud and web engineers, embedded software engineers, electronics engineers, and product designers. Together we deliver technology to our internal operations team and to our partners who install them across the globe.
At Best.Energy you will have the opportunity to contribute to the most effective form of sustainability transformation: saving energy before it’s even used.
The Role - Data Engineer
We’re looking for an enthusiastic engineer to help build our internal business automations: a unified system that will provide a single source of truth across the whole business. We are building with the Azure toolkit including serverless, event driven, and NoSQL databases alongside the Power suite and web technologies for presentation. The successful candidate will take a lead role in the development of this system contributing to technology choices, architecture, system design, and implementation.
You will take a lead role in the development of this system contributing to technology choice, architecture, system design, and implementation. You will be connecting our own customer-facing platform, mobile apps, cloud databases, and data presentation tools.
Using your knowledge of cloud platforms and ecosystems, as the Data Engineer you will make best use of the tools and services already available but when necessary you will be responsible for creating new tools. Some web application development will be involved.
- Help specify and design our internal tools and workflows.
- Create and maintain databases for performance and reliability.
- Build the infrastructure and tools we need to run projects at scale.
- Continually enhance our systems to enable our operations team to delight our customers.
- Appreciation of the cost and performance implications of cloud services.
You - Data Engineer
This is a new role that will form a new team so being the first in and working independently won't faze you. You'll have the larger tech department and other stakeholders to work with of course, but we're looking for someone who is a real self starter.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Excited by the possibilities of business automation.
- Ability to work well with our other technical and operations teams.
- An ownership attitude to work with an eye on continual improvement
Experience and Technical Abilities
It's essential you have:
- Experience provisioning databases and services on Azure
- Full stack development expertise
If you have the below too, that's great:
- Experience of requirements gathering and translation into technical specifications.
- Data modelling and database design experience.
- Full stack web/cloud application development.
- Experience of deploying cloud native applications using managed servers or serverless environments.
- Experience provisioning databases and services, most probably on Azure.
- Working knowledge of available cloud services, most probably on Azure.
- Good skills in a modern scripting languages, e.g. Python.
- Strong knowledge of file types, data types and transformation.
- Working knowledge of PowerBI would be helpful.
What You’ll Get - Life at Best.Energy
Life at Best.Energy is busy - make no mistake about that! We’re people on a mission (and a great one at that) and we all look after each other. We’ve just unveiled our shiny new offices in Bristol which you’ll have the option of working in with our hybrid working approach. Our benefits package needs a little TLC, we know that and it’s something we’re working on, but hopefully you’ll love the sound of us and want to know more.
- Hybrid working
- Location based from our Bristol HQ
- Pension scheme through NEST Pensions
- 25 days holiday + Bank Holidays
- Monday - Friday, 09.00 - 17.00 but we are open around home life and encourage applications from parents and caregivers
We celebrate diversity and know that it’s critical for our success at Best.Energy. We’re working hard to make sure we’re inclusive. We welcome applications from black, Asian and minority ethnic candidates, LGBTQ+ candidates, candidates with disabilities and veterans. We encourage applications from all socio-economic backgrounds so if you’re brilliant at what you do then we want to hear from you.
If you need any adjustments made to the application or selection process so you can do your best, let us know. We’ll be happy to help.